• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need help!!!Big no-will mess.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlc77

What is the name of your state? Kentucky:D

My husband's uncle died on june 3rd. He had no kids or wife and only age 44. It was tragic and unexpected. He had property and a home which had been condemned and HUD gave a govt. grant to Mountain Comprehensive care through the Appalachian housing rehabilitation program in order to build him a new home on his property. Well, they began building it like 2 wks before his death and only got the foundation and footers done. Then he died on a Sat. and Monday I contacted the woman in charge of the program(my husband's uncle was mentally disabled.), and she will not stop construction on the house. She said she has to do what the Ky. housing corporation and HUD tell her to do and the Kentucky Housing Corp. said that it is actually up to this woman and her Mountain Comp. Care legal team to decide what happens with the house. Well, now my husband was made administrator of the estate and things are still unclear. They say they can't stop building but they also say that we can't live in the home because it is only 2 bdrooms. They are being very uncooperative and we still have not been able to get them to show us the contract that our uncle signed although he was receiving a disability check for being mentally disabled and getting counseling at Mountain Comp. Help??? The lawyer for mountain comp said that there was a good chance a stranger would have ended up in the home anyway since our uncle probably would've missed a payment. How mean is that? It's like they know these people on their program are mentally disabled so they take advantage of them. What should we do???:confused:

GaAtty

It is difficult to understand why you need to have them stop construction. Let them finish the house, especially if they are not charging anything for it. The home belonged to the uncle, and now it belongs to the uncle's estate and then his heirs. Let them finish building it and then, if you can't live in it, your husband can, as administrator, petition the court for permission to sell it.

sounds good

GaAtty said:
It is difficult to understand why you need to have them stop construction. Let them finish the house, especially if they are not charging anything for it. The home belonged to the uncle, and now it belongs to the uncle's estate and then his heirs. Let them finish building it and then, if you can't live in it, your husband can, as administrator, petition the court for permission to sell it.
That advice sounds good, I suppose you need to raise this issue at probate as well. I hope you find your answers, I cant seem to get any on here, look like I might have to find another forum to go to. Good Luck !

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">