• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help in interpreting one paragraph in a will.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luvtotravel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland (Anne Arundel County).

I would appreciate getting an interpretation of dad’s will. He passed away a month ago (lived in Maryland). This is a portion of the will (I understand the rest of the will):

Third: I give, devise and bequeath all of my property, real, personal, and mixed, of whatever nature, kind, description, type, sort, character, and wherever situated, unto my children John Doe and Mary Doe, share and share alike, absolutely and in fee simple, per capita and not per stirpes. In the event that one of my children shall have predeceased me, then and in that event, I give, devise and bequeath the said deceased child’s share as aforesaid until my surviving child, absolutely and in fee simple.

Fourth: I nominate and appoint my son, John Doe, as Personal Representative under this will. If he shall have predeceased me or fails to qualify, or having qualified, should die, resign, or become incapacitated, I nominate and appoint my daughter, Mary Doe, as Personal Representative in his place. I direct that my Personal Representative be execused from the necessity of giving bond.

Fifth: I give and grant to my Personal Representative, his successor or successors, the following powers which shall be construed broadly and which may be exercised by him as in his sole discretion if he deems advisable, in addition to and not in limitation of his common law and statutory powers: To allot, assign, care for, collect, contract with respect to, convey, convert, deal with, dispose of, enter into, exchange, hold, improve, invest, lease, manage, mortgage, grant, and exercise options with respect to, take possession of, pledge, receive, release, repay, sell, sue for, to distribtue in kind or like, and, in general, do any and every agreement with respect to the property inculded in my estate which he could do if he were the absolute ower thereof.

My father had a townhouse, which I believe still has a mortagage.

If my brother chooses, under the fifth paragraph of the will, to sell the townhouse, will I still get half of the final amount or does he get the entire monies because of the fifth paragraph. What if he decides to hold or take possession of the townhouse? Does he have to buy me out 50% of today’s market value of the townhouse? If he decides to improve the townhouse, does the funds that makes the improvements come from dad’s estate (bank account)?

I’m not sure if the third and fifth paragraphs condradict each other or if the wording is just not understandable to me; Or how it affects me with regard to how my brother decides to handle the townhouse.

Also, if I am listed as a beneficiary with any life insurance, pension, or other benefits (dad worked for the federal government) is my brother responsible for letting me know that I am a beneficiary and to provide me with information in order to persue said benefits?

Thank you.

M

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Paragraph 5 says (in a nutshell) that the personal representative has the power to make any transactions on behalf of the estate that s/he feels is proper. It does not change the distribution of assets listed in prior paragraphs. There is no contradiction.

OHRoadwarrior

If he tried to use 5, which clearly is meant as an empowerment to convey, rather than a specific bequest, to rip you off, you can contest it in court. Any inheritance as beneficiary, will be handled by the entity contacting you. If your brother were to claim he could not contact you, they would hold the benefit until able to contact you or it would default to the state unclaimed as a matter of law.

Zigner

As for your second question, ideally the company will seek you out once they are notified of his death. However, they have to be notified. Do you have reason to believe that your brother won't do as he is supposed to?

luvtotravel

Thanks for the comments.

I'm not understanding some of the wording in the third paragraph, "all of my property, real, personal, ...." and the wording in the fifth paragraph", "...with respect to the property included in my estate..."

Does "...in my estate.." mean his "real" property - his townhouse?

If we "share and share alike" dad's "real" property, how can my brother "take possession of" (as an example) the townhouse? Does this mean he can keep 100% of dad's townhouse and I don't get a share and share alike of the value of the townhouse?

M

luvtotravel

Just saw two more postings after I posted my second message.

If the company tries to seek me out I hope that when my dad filled out any forms he had my correct address. I am just about to email my brother to ask him if I’m listed as a beneficiary so I can start the ‘claims’ process.

My brother is being sort of a jerk at this time, so I just need to know what I’m entitle to or not. I don’t want to step on his toes as executor but want him to keep me informed and do the right thing.

M

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Just saw two more postings after I posted my second message.

If the company tries to seek me out I hope that when my dad filled out any forms he had my correct address. I am just about to email my brother to ask him if I’m listed as a beneficiary so I can start the ‘claims’ process.

My brother is being sort of a jerk at this time, so I just need to know what I’m entitle to or not. I don’t want to step on his toes as executor but want him to keep me informed and do the right thing.

M
You are entitled to your portion AFTER all debts have been paid. Which may mean NOTHING quite frankly. How much in debt was your father? Those debts need paid (funeral, medical, credit card, mortgage, loans, etcetera) before anyone gets anything.

luvtotravel

"Do you have reason to believe that your brother won't do as he is supposed to?"

Just to add: I'm not sure if he knows all that he's supposed to do. A friend of mine gave me a book to read entitled, "The Executor's Guide". It's been informative for me.

Zigner

You are entitled to your portion AFTER all debts have been paid. Which may mean NOTHING quite frankly. How much in debt was your father? Those debts need paid (funeral, medical, credit card, mortgage, loans, etcetera) before anyone gets anything.
To clarify:

The above applies to the assets & obligations of the estate. If the OP is named as the beneficiary on insurance policies, etc., those are not part of the estate and she is entitled to the full amount.

luvtotravel

Yes, I understand the debts need to be paid first (and I know that insurance policies and pensions are not part of the estate and not subject to probate - thanks Zigner).

I am talking about 'after' and what's left over to share and share alike. Maybe I'm not getting my thought across clearly.

So asked another way (I hope): If my brother decides to keep the house for himself and the mortgage has been paid off via dad's money in the bank account, and if the townhouse is valued at $150,000 am I entitled to half of that, i.e., my brother buying me out? Or if he decides to sell it and therefore, getting half of the final amount received from selling the house?

M

Zigner

So asked another way (I hope): If my brother decides to keep the house for himself and the mortgage has been paid off via dad's money in the bank account, and if the townhouse is valued at $150,000 am I entitled to half of that, i.e., my brother buying me out? Or if he decides to sell it and therefore, getting half of the final amount received from selling the house?

Yes, if he keeps it, he needs to compensate you for half the value. Yes, if he sells it, you get your half of the net proceeds.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">