• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help with Sibling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gibby31

Fort Worth, Texas
My father passes away in December. I was told by my sister that he had 3 life insurance policies- each in the amount of 20k, and a 401k in the amount of 38K. She told me at the time of his death that we were both benef. on all of these.
I have recently found out that she is the only beneficiary on the 401k. and there is only one life insurance policy-it will pay for the funneral.
When I confronted her with this, she got angry and told me that there is two other life policies and not to call my fathers work.
Yesterday, I was informed she has received the 401k check and has cashed it - she does not have a checking account.
I called the funeral home to make sure they have been paid- they have.
She has not contacted an attorney for his estate or social security as she and her husband both owe the IRS. She was not power of attorney.
Am I going to be held responsible for anything? Is there anything I can do?

JETX

Am I going to be held responsible for anything?
Unless you signed an obligation to pay (funeral, etc.), then you are not responsible for your fathers debts.

Is there anything I can do?
About what??
You can certainly contact a local probate attorney and consider asking the court to appoint you as executor (personal representative). With that, you will have the RIGHT to review the estate and the insurance policies to confirm that they are being distributed properly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">