• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help with sleazy executor!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tilliesfriend

NJ

My father died last year. He thought it would be best for the family to have his accountant handle his estate as executor and arranged it that way. My mother received all the joint property but those things that were distinctly his went to his separate estate - approx. $40,000 originally. Other family members have been uninterested in getting involved in this believing that the executor knows what he's doing.

That is correct - he knows how to burn up the entire estate in fees to his firm and his lawyer buddy's firm so that no family member receives anything. Since he is legally the executor and no other family member wants to question him, I've had no ability whatsoever to expose his dirty tricks.

My accountant checked with an attorney who said that there is nothing to do about this guy but to make sure that he provides a final inventory of my father's estate. I had requested that he send me monthly invoices for his fees but that and all contact stopped months ago. So now I don't know if the estate is settled, if there's a final inventory, if he's keeping the estate going another year until every cent is gone, or what.

How can I find out the status of the estate and how can I force getting a final inventory without incurring my own legal expenses?

Thank you.

tilliesfriend

Would that be the county courthouse where he lived? Do they get records of the final disposition of assetts and the closing of the estate or do they just have copies of the will?

Thanks.

i'm4justice

what a scam and it is legal

sorry to hear your position. it upsets me to think lawyers do this for a living. this is so common place to hear about. there are limits that executors can steel from you, but i think you are below the limit if you are talking $40,000 so he can take it all. all he has to do is to provide a invoice with some hours on it and he gets to charge you for it. while you are at the court house get the agreement that was signed by your father and the accountant , i sure it was put together by the attorney. if your father had lose of memory or any other type problem at the time of the contract and you can prove it by medical records or the likes you might have a small chance. also check to see if this accountant has done this in the past and if he has been reported.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">