• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need a probate lawyer for contested will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmurs116

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
My cousin's lawyer withdrew from the case.
He tried for 4 years to settle out of court. He is a terrible lawyer who has not represented her well. How can I help find her a lawyer who will accept payment from the assets of the estate. Her only money at this point is social security.
Her sister is contesting the will.
In the will they are co executors and I am afraid that if my cousin does not get another lawyer her sister can be made sole executor.
I have been communicating with her significant other on this since my cousin is not well.
But due to circumstances she does not want to name a guardian to represent her.
Not much I can do since I don't live in the same city, other than to research and help her find another lawyer. Are there any senior agencies she can contact for help?
Legal aid I think does not do probate cases. She lives on Staten Island.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
My cousin's lawyer withdrew from the case.
He tried for 4 years to settle out of court. He is a terrible lawyer who has not represented her well. How can I help find her a lawyer who will accept payment from the assets of the estate. Her only money at this point is social security.
Keep attorney shopping and have her call Legal Aid. In some states, Legal Aid does take such cases when one's only income is SS. We do not provide referrals, but at the top of the page is a link that you can use for attorney shopping.
Her sister is contesting the will.
She does have the right to do so.
the will they are co executors and I am afraid that if my cousin does not get another lawyer her sister can be made sole executor.
I have been communicating with her significant other on this since my cousin is not well.
But due to circumstances she does not want to name a guardian to represent her.
Just being ill is no reason for a guardian to be appointed unless the illness makes one not compentent to handle one's own affairs. One can voluntarily request the court of jurisdiction for a guardian which may actually be good in this instance because the court oversees all for the ward in such instances, especially protecting the interests of the ward. Do keep in mind, the guardian is entitled to be paid and the court can appoint an attorney to be her guardian (i.e. guardian ad litem).
Not much I can do since I don't live in the same city, other than to research and help her find another lawyer. Are there any senior agencies she can contact for help?
The department of elder affairs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">