• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In need of the truth

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeedAdviceInNC

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Hello - My cousin and I were named the beneficiaries in my grandfather's will. The will stated that the proceeds from the sale of his house should be equally divided between the two of us. I do not get along with the executor of his estate and she has been sending me on a wild goose chase. I asked if she would consider selling the home to an inverstor so that my cousin and I could receive our proceeds sooner and I wouldn't have any additional dealings with her. She said that her first intention was to sell the house to an investor but the attorney said that the house had to be listed with a realtor. I called the attorney and he said that if my cousin and I agree to use an investor all he would have to do is draw up a contract for us to sign. Also, she said the house was listed with a realtor already but I called the agency that it is supposed to be listed with and they do not show the home listed with them or any other realtor for that matter. I am concerned that she is being spiteful and trying prolong the receipt of our proceeds. Should we contact an attorney at this point and if so, what can I expect as far as my rights as the beneficiary?

lwpat

If you have an investor that is willing to purchase the house notify the attorney of that fact and of the amount of the offer. Instruct him to draw up the paperwork for both of you to sign.

Put the executor on written notice that you wish the house sold as quickly as possible and that it is your wishes that the house not be placed with a realtor. In my opinion this is a mistake and the executor may really have your best interests in mind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">