• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Next of kin

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stwilly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
NewYork state
My sister died sept. 2nd 2009. She had a 1 page will that left everything to me, one of her surviving brothers. The will is signed & dated by her only. My brother is well off & will not contest anything. He is also willing to sign anything thats needed. My sis left me her house in Rosendale, Ulster county. She has paid more than half of it off. She also left me her car, but never signed the title over to me. I have the title in my posession. She also has bank accts. That I am the benificiary and already have paperwork being done to retrieve.
My questions are, how do I go about selling the house in the spring of 2010? Also, how do I transfer the car title to my home state of NewHampshire?
Thank You

Last edited:

Kiawah

Try going to the website for the county in NY where she died, and do a search on probate. A call to the county clerk will also get you into the right process.

and:
Town of Rosendale
(845) 658-3159

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Whoever the executor of the estate is, is the only person who will have legal authority to sell anything. So either it will be you or an attorney you hire.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">