• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Belladonna

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

My dear Mom passed away in January of this year. She lived in my home so I could care for her and all property is in my name. We shared a checking account together, as well as some CD's. Our names were both listed on these items like this--- Sharon OR Cindy.

We each had separate credit cards. Mom's credit card was with Bank of America and they are now hounding me and telling me that they will do an investigation into this situation. That's given since Mom's credit card was in her name solely, she passed with no estate, it will not be going to probate. I hadve not made an effort to pay off BOA.

My question is that since Mom had no estate and everything was in my name am I obligated to pay off her credit card debt? It is my understanding that I do not owe this, yet I am getting the irritating calls from collection about satisfying this debt. Mom also did not have life insurance on her credit card. Thank you for any advice that you can give me.

LAWYER-002

Belladonna said:
What is the name of your state? South Carolina

My dear Mom passed away in January of this year. She lived in my home so I could care for her and all property is in my name. We shared a checking account together, as well as some CD's. Our names were both listed on these items like this--- Sharon OR Cindy.

We each had separate credit cards. Mom's credit card was with Bank of America and they are now hounding me and telling me that they will do an investigation into this situation. That's given since Mom's credit card was in her name solely, she passed with no estate, it will not be going to probate. I hadve not made an effort to pay off BOA.

My question is that since Mom had no estate and everything was in my name am I obligated to pay off her credit card debt? It is my understanding that I do not owe this, yet I am getting the irritating calls from collection about satisfying this debt. Mom also did not have life insurance on her credit card. Thank you for any advice that you can give me.

My response:

How long had each of the bank accounts been in both names?

How long had the "property" been in both names?

IAAL

Belladonna

The bank accounts have been in her name or my name for at least fifteen years. The house has also been in my name for over ten years.

Thank you.

Belladonna

LAWYER-002 said:
My response:

That's not an answer to my question.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Nice. Thanks.

All three accounts from the bank for the past fifteen years have read exactly:

Sharon OR Cindy Smith.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">