• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lossforwords

What is the name of your state? washington

Durable Power Of Attorney and Death with no will

My grandfather had three children. One is a junior who has the same name. My grandfather and mother discovered my uncle obtained credit cards in my grandfathers name with his s.s number and ran him seriously into debt. When this was discovered he and my mother decided to withdrawal all his savings and put it in an account in her name. This would keep any creditors from taking my grandfathers money and my grandfather wanted my mother to have the money when he passed so it would make it easily accessible to her. My grandfather has now passed from cancer and my uncle (who ran my grandfather in debt) is now trying to sue my mother for all his money. There was no will but my mother did have durable power of attorney and withdrew the money from my grandfathers account months before his passing. Does he have any right to this money? I also received a letter from my uncle one week after my grandfathers passing saying he didn't want any of my grandfathers money.

S

seniorjudge

Since your grandfather chose not to write a will, that means he intended for the assets to pass by the intestate succession laws of your state.

I suggest your mom needs to start probate proceedings if there was anything besides the checking account.

When this was discovered he and my mother decided to withdrawal all his savings and put it in an account in her name.

If gramps was competent when he did this, then I would certainly hope bad uncle doesn't get anything. Make sure your mom shows the lawyer that letter. It will not have any effect on the stuff (other than the checking account) but it may be useful to determine whether mom gets to keep the dough in the checking account. Also, start getting documentation together about bad uncle's misdeeds.

http://www.finance.cch.com/pops/c50s10d190_WA.asp

Washington Intestate Succession Laws

If any part of a Washington decedent's estate is not effectively disposed of by will, the intestate share will be distributed in the following order and manner:

1. Surviving spouse. A surviving spouse is generally first in line to get any assets from the intestate estate. However, the amount a surviving spouse is entitled to varies as follows:

* If there is no surviving issue (e.g., decedent's child or grandchild), the surviving spouse is entitled to all of the decedent's share of the net community estate plus one-half of the net separate estate.
* If there is no surviving issue, but the intestate is survived by one or more of his parents, or by one or more of the issue of one or more of his parents, the surviving spouse gets all of the decedent's share of the net community estate plus three-quarters of the net separate estate.
* If there is no surviving issue, parents, or issue of decedent's parents, the surviving spouse is entitled to the entire net separate estate.

2. Heirs other than surviving spouse. Any part of the intestate estate not passing to the surviving spouse as indicated above, or the entire intestate estate if there is no surviving spouse, passes in the following way:

1. To the decedent's issue. If they are all in the same degree of kinship to the decedent, they take equally, or if of unequal degree, then those of more remote degree shall take by representation.
2. If there are no surviving issue, then to the parent or parents who survive the decedent.
3. If the decedent is not survived by issue or by either parent, then to those issue of the parent or parents who survive the decedent. If they are all in the same degree of kinship to the decedent, they take equally. If of unequal degree, then those of more remote degree take by representation.
4. If the intestate decedent is not survived by any of the above, the estate goes to the surviving grandparent or grandparents. If both maternal and paternal grandparents survive the decedent, the maternal grandparent or grandparents shall take one-half and the paternal grandparent or grandparents shall take one-half.
5. As a final resort, the intestate estate goes to the surviving issue of any grandparent or grandparents. Taken as a group, the issue of the maternal grandparent or grandparents must share equally with the issue of the paternal grandparent or grandparents, also taken as a group. Within each such group, all members share equally if they are all in the same degree of kinship to the decedent, or, if some are of unequal degree, then those of more remote degree will take by representation.

As referred to above, representation is a method of determining distribution when takers are in unequal degrees of kinship with respect to the intestate decedent. After first determining who of those entitled to share in the estate are in the nearest degree of kinship, the estate is divided into equal shares, the number of shares being the sum of the number of persons who survive the decedent who are in the nearest degree of kinship and the number of persons in the same degree of kinship who died before the decedent, but who left issue surviving the decedent. Each share of a deceased person in the nearest degree is divided among those of the deceased person's issue who survive the decedent and have no ancestor then living who is in the line of relationship between them and the decedent, those more remote in degree taking together the share which their ancestor would have taken had he or she survived the decedent. Posthumous children are considered as living at the death of their parent.

3. State of Washington. If there is no taker under any of the above provisions, the intestate estate passes to the state of Washington. However, this may be avoided if inheritance through a step-parent is possible.

Washington Intestate Succession Law Fun Facts

* Relatives of the half blood inherit the same share they would inherit if they were of the whole blood.
* A lawfully adopted child is not considered an heir of his natural parents and cannot claim a share of their intestate estate.
* Washington's intestate succession laws, as well as other related laws, can be found in Title 11 of the Washington Revised Code.

Copyright 2002 - 2005, CCH Tax and Accounting - A WoltersKluwer Company. All Rights Reserved.

lossforwords

I appreciate the time you took to do that. My grandfather was competent when he did that. My mother has been his power of attorney for several years. He was still well when this happened and unfortunately a few months after they withdrew the money (it could be longer) he went in to the hospital for back pain and never returned home. It was a very strange time for us because we moved him into a beautiful retirement home while he was in the hospital with every intention that he would be coming home. He was very coherent and let me tell you this man had NO PROBLEMS voicing his opinion lol. He was very excited when they originally looked at the apartment because there were other veterans there. Unfortunately his cancer came back and they did some form of radiation treatment on him and he never snapped out of it. Its not a lot of money. I hope you don't think we are trying to cheat some one. He did some very hurtful things to my family and my mom finally just cut him completely out of her life. He's stated numerous times he hated my grandfather and wished he would just die. Well he got his wish and its unfortunate because not even six months later my mothers oldest brother died and now she is having to deal with this.

Thankyou.

The only assets he had were his checking account that we closed. I believe he had another small one up until his death that was to pay his rent etc. Possibly 3,000 but it was collected back from him by Social Security. My grandfather had 20,000 and it was distributed to his grand kids in the form of cashiers check and the last 10,000 my mother put down on a car because he wanted her to purchase a car....(he would say "That damn diesels to expensive, go buy you a car!") We do have all the info from the creditors proving the charges on the credit card were at another apartment (my uncles) and he charged over 19,000 on those cards.

S

seniorjudge

Tell bad uncle (very politely of course) to BITE ROCKS!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">