• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Will....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

golred

What is the name of your state? OHIO

My father recently passed away and unfortunately he had no will. His wife (my step-mother) has tried to get the house transferred into her name (only). Apparantly the deed was only in my father's name and her attorney told her that in order to get the house in her name, she would have to have me and my brother sign documents stating that it is OK to put the deed to the house in her name.
Does this mean that the house is legally ours (mine and my brother's)? I don't understand WHY we would have to "give permission" for her name to be on the deed. We (my brother and I) have nothing to do with that house.What is the name of your state?

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? OHIO

My father recently passed away and unfortunately he had no will. His wife (my step-mother) has tried to get the house transferred into her name (only). Apparantly the deed was only in my father's name and her attorney told her that in order to get the house in her name, she would have to have me and my brother sign documents stating that it is OK to put the deed to the house in her name.
Does this mean that the house is legally ours (mine and my brother's)? I don't understand WHY we would have to "give permission" for her name to be on the deed. We (my brother and I) have nothing to do with that house.What is the name of your state?
The house is legally all three of yours. Under instestate statues your stepmother takes a certain percentage of the estate PLUS a child's share and the rest is split between you and your brother.

If you want to give away your rights to that portion of the estate then sign. If not, then don't.

moburkes

Someone will come along and give you a better answer, but, apparently, without a will, you MAY be entitled to a share of the property (think: inheritance).

Sorry about your dad.

I tried to go to my county's website (I'm also in OH-Go Blue, by the way!:D ), but wasn't able to locate any information beside forms (probably the one that you are being asked to sign).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">