• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blutalon

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My father in law just passed away with no will. He was divorced, and has 6 children. He was a resident of Oklahoma. None of the children are fighting over anything. His contents of his appartment are sitting in his ex-wifes garage in Oklahoma. No one had any funds to pay for a funeral service so I charged it on my credit card.

My first question is do we need a lawyer to appoint someone as the administrator of his estate? The only thing he had (in Oklahoma) was his last paychecks from work, and about $2000.00 in a checking account with no POD.

Next question, can one of his children become the administrator of his estate that lives in North Carolina with out having to travel back and forth to Oklahoma or can they just do it through a North Carolina Court?

Another question I have is he has real estate in South Dakota, which he bought but never transferred into his name with the court there, in the meantime he resold through a private agreement with a man and we have no records of it but a note in a notebook saying who bought it, when, the amount that was to be paid each month and the date. We were told the man who bought the property has not paid him in over two years and we have no records of any amount at all that has ever been paid. We have not notified this man of his death and really don't know where to start with this. And once we go through probate in Oklahoma will we have to do the same in South Dakota?

I know I'm asking for a lot here, but I really don't know where to start as I have never been involved in any of this before. I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thank you!

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My father in law just passed away with no will. He was divorced, and has 6 children. He was a resident of Oklahoma. None of the children are fighting over anything. His contents of his appartment are sitting in his ex-wifes garage in Oklahoma. No one had any funds to pay for a funeral service so I charged it on my credit card.

My first question is do we need a lawyer to appoint someone as the administrator of his estate? The only thing he had (in Oklahoma) was his last paychecks from work, and about $2000.00 in a checking account with no POD.
Yes, file small estate.
Next question, can one of his children become the administrator of his estate that lives in North Carolina with out having to travel back and forth to Oklahoma or can they just do it through a North Carolina Court?
yes and no.
Another question I have is he has real estate in South Dakota, which he bought but never transferred into his name with the court there, in the meantime he resold through a private agreement with a man and we have no records of it but a note in a notebook saying who bought it, when, the amount that was to be paid each month and the date. We were told the man who bought the property has not paid him in over two years and we have no records of any amount at all that has ever been paid. We have not notified this man of his death and really don't know where to start with this. And once we go through probate in Oklahoma will we have to do the same in South Dakota?
yes.
I know I'm asking for a lot here, but I really don't know where to start as I have never been involved in any of this before. I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thank you!
yep, you sure are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">