• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

troyswife

My father died in January/2015 and my mom in July/2016 , once my mom passed my siblings and I had me named executor of their estates, which there really was none and I got letters of administration for both. My dad had an ongoing case with a lawyer for having developed cancer from hauling asbestos for years. He still receives small settlements so we took the letters of administration to the lawyer shooting that I'm the executor of the estate and today I received two checks made out to his estate for $900 and$600 dollars. There are no more assets or property. What do I do with these checks?

justalayman

My father died in January/2015 and my mom in July/2016 , once my mom passed my siblings and I had me named executor of their estates, which there really was none and I got letters of administration for both. My dad had an ongoing case with a lawyer for having developed cancer from hauling asbestos for years. He still receives small settlements so we took the letters of administration to the lawyer shooting that I'm the executor of the estate and today I received two checks made out to his estate for $900 and$600 dollars. There are no more assets or property. What do I do with these checks?
Are there debts?

Typically you deposit checks made to the decedent or their estate in the bank account you open, as exectutor, for the estate.

I just realized you stated there are no more assets or property. What happened to his assets and property? Everybody has something.

troyswife

Are there debts?

Typically you deposit checks made to the decedent or their estate in the bank account you open, as exectutor, for the estate.

I just realized you stated there are no more assets or property. What happened to his assets and property? Everybody has something.
My state is Maryland, and he and my mom went into a nursing home about 3 years ago and beforehand they distributed their furniture and things to family members at that time. They also got rid of the apartment they were living in. So at the time of his death everything was already distributed. All that's left is these checks that still come in from this case. So after opening an account and depositing the checks, so they just sit in the account for a period of time or do I wait to see if any bills come in for him because he's been deceased since 2015/January and none have so far. Or can the money never be spent or only spent on certain things.

LdiJ

My state is Maryland, and he and my mom went into a nursing home about 3 years ago and beforehand they distributed their furniture and things to family members at that time. They also got rid of the apartment they were living in. So at the time of his death everything was already distributed. All that's left is these checks that still come in from this case. So after opening an account and depositing the checks, so they just sit in the account for a period of time or do I wait to see if any bills come in for him because he's been deceased since 2015/January and none have so far. Or can the money never be spent or only spent on certain things.
As soon as you are certain that there are no debts (and that there are not going to be any more checks from the lawsuit) you would close the estate bank account and divide the money between you and your siblings.

troyswife

As soon as you are certain that there are no debts (and that there are not going to be any more checks from the lawsuit) you would close the estate bank account and divide the money between you and your siblings.
Thank you this information had been extremely helpful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">