• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No will/does anything go to ex spouses?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lisa2112

What is the name of your state? Maine

My husband and I fully realize that we need a will and are in the process of doing this. I just started researching and making lists of assets. We own our own home, 3 vehicles, life insurance policies, and I have a 401K. My husband was previously married and has a daughter who will be 18 in November.

My question is this, my sister in law works for prepaid legal. She has instructed me that if we have no will and something happens to him, that not only is his daughter entitled to a portion of the estate (which I do not mind) but that his ex wife would also be entitled to a portion :eek: . Is this true? I can't see how a life insurance policy that names me directly as the main beneficiary could go to his ex. Nor do I see how my 401K that I have contributed 100% to would be a part of this either but she states that it would.

As I said, we are in the process of researching and listing assets but if I were to know that this was true it would most certainly be a motivational factor!

Thank you in advance for any answers.

Lisa

BlondiePB

Lisa2112 said:
What is the name of your state? Maine

My husband and I fully realize that we need a will and are in the process of doing this. I just started researching and making lists of assets. We own our own home, 3 vehicles, life insurance policies, and I have a 401K. My husband was previously married and has a daughter who will be 18 in November.

My question is this, my sister in law works for prepaid legal. She has instructed me that if we have no will and something happens to him, that not only is his daughter entitled to a portion of the estate (which I do not mind) but that his ex wife would also be entitled to a portion :eek: . Is this true? I can't see how a life insurance policy that names me directly as the main beneficiary could go to his ex. Nor do I see how my 401K that I have contributed 100% to would be a part of this either but she states that it would.

As I said, we are in the process of researching and listing assets but if I were to know that this was true it would most certainly be a motivational factor!

Thank you in advance for any answers.

Lisa
Your sister-in-law is wrong. With being wrong about something this simple, have someone else do your estate papers and get your legal advice from a qualified estate attorney.

Lisa2112

Thank you so much for the answer. I had a feeling. Just another ploy by prepaid legal to get people to join if only just for the will preparation! The next time I see her I'm going to inform her of this.

Lisa

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">