• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no will inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kazie

TEXAS My father passed away about 3 weeks ago and my brother has been handling everything. My mother is no longer living and there are 4 living adult children. My father did not leave a will, he had no actual property to speak of, but he did have money in the bank in the form of CD's and savings. I assume we will inherit this split 4 ways but I have heard nothing since the funeral. My brother just said I will call you. What is the time frame that this should be settled and is there something I should be doing to insure my part. Does the bank more or less freeze the accounts untill it is settled? Thank you for any information you can give me.

justalayman

in Texas, what happens depends on how much the estate is worth. If more than $50k, then probate needs to be opened. If less, that a small estate administration can fulfill the requirements.

In either case, there are some dealing with the probate courts.

Now, you must understand; the debts of the estate take precedence over the rights of the inheritors. You'all get to split whatever is left after the bills are paid.

as to bank accounts. if they are held indvidually and there are no payments on death designations, the accoundt will remain incaccessable without letters testamentary fromthe courts to the adminsitrator to access the accounts.

If they were joint accounts, then they now belong to the co-account holder.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">