• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No will + questionable "common law spouse"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Acquiesce24

What is the name of your state? PA

My grandmother died suddenly in 2002 without a will. She had been living with her "boyfriend" of 25 years, who, after death, began claiming "common law marriage" even though my grandmother continued to collect my grandfather's military pension throughout their entire relationship and she continued to use her deceased husband's name, etc--they never presented themselves as husband and wife.

The estate, according to country records, was settled in 2004. Her boyfriend took everything--even auctioning off all of her personal belongings. She was survived by two children who received nothing from the estate. This is definitely not fair, but is it even legal? And is there anything that can be done about it after the fact?

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? PA

My grandmother died suddenly in 2002 without a will. She had been living with her "boyfriend" of 25 years, who, after death, began claiming "common law marriage" even though my grandmother continued to collect my grandfather's military pension throughout their entire relationship and she continued to use her deceased husband's name, etc--they never presented themselves as husband and wife.

The estate, according to country records, was settled in 2004. Her boyfriend took everything--even auctioning off all of her personal belongings. She was survived by two children who received nothing from the estate. This is definitely not fair, but is it even legal? And is there anything that can be done about it after the fact?
something could have been done had the children not waited this long.

Dandy Don

Why did it take so long for you all to get angry about this? You should have consulted an attorney soon after the death so YOU could have filed to get probate opened up and the property distributed among the legal heirs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">