• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No will - very little estate - no executor named

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

judytitus

What is the name of your state? PENNSYLVANIA

My mom passed away 6 weeks ago.

She passed unexpectedly. She left no will, a few bills not covered by insurance (meaning the "death and disability" you pay on for each account).

The only "probatable" items are 4 shares of Quaker Oats stock, 100 shares of stock from a company that went "belly-up" (worthless) and a check made out to her estate for 386.00.

I called the court, and the woman there told me that it would cost more to probate the stuff, because the probate fees would be more than her estate is worth.

My question: I have 1 sister living across the country who is satisfied with me dealing with my mom's "estate", such as it is. Is there a form for me to fill out to be named "executor" of her "estate"? She has no open bank account, so the 386.00 check is worthless to me.

I hope you can help. I had asked the nice lady on the phone this question, but she was unable to give me an answer.

Thanks.

Dandy Don

You need to be asking someone at the county courthouse probate court or a local attorney whether that county has a simplified procedure for smaller estates.

Or ask an attorney whether it would be worth your time and trouble to file to become administrator (soon after filing you would receive letters testamentary giving you authority to claim and cash any and all assets) and then cancel probate since there is not much to be probated.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">