• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no wills or executor for personal assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

msramble

What is the name of your state? FL
A relative recently died leaving one adult child. I am looking for any evidence of a will so far nothing. My concern is for the child whose state of mind is questionable. She/He somewhat understands but to what extent I do not know. I am the next closet relative. The child indicated to me she/he has a friend that is an attorney whom she/he entrust to handle all her/his affairs that is telling her/him what to tell me. I am not to comfortable with this. I want to look out for her/his best interest and needed some guidance as to how to go about this. Is there a way I could get the court to immediately step in and oversee this situation to protect the child's interest? This is my only concern. The child is the sole heir, I'm just next of kin outside of the child. So rightfully the child is entitled to everything the parent left. I'm just not too sure about this attorney/friend situation especially in her/his state of mind. Should the courts step in a maybe prove her/his competency level and in the meantime handle the financial affairs for the child? The sad part is that the parent never told anyone to my knowlege anything with regards to personal affairs and household bills still has to be paid for the child to live. Thanks for any help or guidance you can give me. I'm just a relative trying to do the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">