• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Now What?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrcbw

state-KY

My father died a few years ago and the house was left to me.

My older brother said he would take care of what needed to be done to get everything changed over to me.
He had a a friend who was attorney and everything was reassured to me,that it would be taken care of. the took the will(and gave back about a week later)copy of the DC and said it will take a few weeks to go through probate court.

Several years later now i find out he/they NEVER did anything. The will was never turned over to the probate and the house is still listed in my dads name.

What can i do to reslove this?
Can i lose my home from this?

Thx for any help.

garrula lingua

You need to open a Probate proceeding.

Call your local Bar Association (google for your county) and see if they can refer you to a Probate Attorney. You may want to check if there is a legal aid office in your area.
If you are a senior, you may get assistance (or a referral) at the senior center.
Good luck.
... you have been paying the taxes, haven't you ?
Did you keep homeowner's insurance on the house ?

mrcbw

Well

There is no home insurance but it is not required by state(Ky)
I have paid the taxes every year and even paid off the mortgage.

I am probably over paranoid, but i am nervous about losing my home over this.
Thx for your help.

nextwife

There is no home insurance but it is not required by state(Ky)
I have paid the taxes every year and even paid off the mortgage.

I am probably over paranoid, but i am nervous about losing my home over this.
Thx for your help.

Good heavens, WHY are you not carrying homeowner's insurance? What about liability if someone is injured on your property? Vandalism? A house here was broken into recently and the interior trashed to the tune of $500,000 in damage! What about fire or other risks? Why would you need the STATE to require insurance? Penny wise, very pound foolish....

Last edited:

mrcbw

Well

Making about 120$ per week,you have to give up somethings,i know i need it but how am i suppose to get it if the house is NOT in my name?

i'm4justice

another attorney trying to legally steal

you need to get documentation of your actions and just what the attorney has done so far.
reason being is the attorney will say he has been waiting on you. i am sure the attorney is hoping that you forget or died so he can have it all for himself. so your brother was upset that you got the house??? every state has an ethics reporting service. contact them and then let your attorney know , maybe you can scare the attorney to release the deed.
also request the deed back before you go to probation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">