• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obligation to creditors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Trilogyranch

What is the name of your state? I live in florida

My dad passed away last October. We provided him a place to live next to us in a camper. He paid his own phone and elec. We did not charge him for anything.
He was very sick and was on dialysis for the last two years. He only had his social security and lived on that. he also ran up his credit cards to pay for medication and food. When he died he had exactly 1200.00 in the bank to pay for his cremation.
He did not own anything.
His creditors are hounding me, asking me to pay his bills. I understand I am not obligated to do so. They want me to write them a letter stating that he was living on his social security and that he had no other assets.
Am I legally obligated to provide them with any information? My dad had no will. He has 5 kids, but he lived with us because he could not afford to live on his own. But he lived independantly and I was not on his credit cards.

S

seniorjudge

Trilogyranch said:
What is the name of your state? I live in florida

My dad passed away last October. We provided him a place to live next to us in a camper. He paid his own phone and elec. We did not charge him for anything.
He was very sick and was on dialysis for the last two years. He only had his social security and lived on that. he also ran up his credit cards to pay for medication and food. When he died he had exactly 1200.00 in the bank to pay for his cremation.
He did not own anything.
His creditors are hounding me, asking me to pay his bills. I understand I am not obligated to do so. They want me to write them a letter stating that he was living on his social security and that he had no other assets.
Am I legally obligated to provide them with any information? My dad had no will. He has 5 kids, but he lived with us because he could not afford to live on his own. But he lived independantly and I was not on his credit cards.

His creditors are hounding me, asking me to pay his bills.

Speak to them in a horrid tone, telling them to bite rocks. Then hang up on them. Period. End of story. Even if.

Trilogyranch

what about mail?

I dont suppose I can get them to stop calling me? What should I do with all the mail I am getting from his debtors? I have sent them back, writing on the envelope: deceased, but they still keep coming.
Should I send them copies of the death certificate? the funeral director told me I did not have to do this.

ladybg1

As far as the mail-just throw it away. You aren't responsible. Do you have caller id on your phone? If so-don't answer unless you recognize the number. They will stop in time. If they can't talk to you, then they don't have a chance to bully you into paying

Kentucky

I am dealing with my brothers estate in Kentucky.
I was given advice to open a P.O. Box in my brother's name until the estate is settled. This will avoid all of the issues with the bills coming to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">