• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

oil royality interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bertorr

What is the name of your state? California

One of my brothers passed away several years ago, leaving no will or heirs. The only item of value in his estate is an interest in an oil royality that I and my other brothers received from our mother years ago when she died. Each interest we received was an individual royality account with the oil company. We notified the company of my brothers death and they "suspended" his account, accumulating his monthly payments. The company notified us about a year ago that they would like to somehow resolve this account. I contacted a lawyer and he put together an Affidavit of Probate we all signed and sent to the oil company. The lawyer determined that since this was an "interest" and not real property, the affidavit alone without any court filing would be enough to transfer my brothers account. Wrong. The oil company says that's it's real property and requires a petition to a court along with an inventory and appraisal. My question is if an appraisal can be waived by the court? The account is has about 30K in it and it receives about 1K per month royality. Even the oil company's rep thought an appraisal may be difficult to determine and be expensive to undertake. Sorry for the length and thanks for your time.

rmet4nzkx

You will have to open up probate and should have done that a while ago, then they can pay the estate etc.

Dandy Don

The advice you've already received is good, but you need to be talking also to an attorney who has experience with oil and gas transactions or a landman to find out what an appraisal would cost, or maybe your probate attorney could find out for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">