• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

old account 8 years after fathers passing.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blakehew

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? UTAH

My father passed away in 2003. My mother has always been a bit disorganized, and it wasn't till about 2 or 3 years later we discovered a cash account with Scott Trade with about 2500$ in it under his name. we just kept putting off doing anything about it and now here it is over 8 years later. We finally started the process of trying to get the money distributed to my mother. The one missing piece is that they are asking for the estate Tax ID. We never really had the need for this originally, as all of the other accounts he had were in both my parents names. At this point do we really need to get a new TaxID for the estate just to get that small amount of money distributed to her? Since its been so long can we just use my mothers SSN as the tax ID for the estate. She is the executor of the estate.

Thanks for your help.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? UTAH

My father passed away in 2003. My mother has always been a bit disorganized, and it wasn't till about 2 or 3 years later we discovered a cash account with Scott Trade with about 2500$ in it under his name. we just kept putting off doing anything about it and now here it is over 8 years later. We finally started the process of trying to get the money distributed to my mother. The one missing piece is that they are asking for the estate Tax ID. We never really had the need for this originally, as all of the other accounts he had were in both my parents names. At this point do we really need to get a new TaxID for the estate just to get that small amount of money distributed to her? Since its been so long can we just use my mothers SSN as the tax ID for the estate. She is the executor of the estate.

Thanks for your help.
Was probate actually opened and the estate was distributed through the court? You cannot use your mother's SSN as the tax ID for the estate. That is completely improper.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">