• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

out of the blue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thrownintothis

What is the name of your state? CA
My mother passed away 5 years ago without a will. Probate was processed distributing all her assets among myself and 4 siblings. I just received a letter in the mail from a person stating they are the child of my deceased brother wanting his share of the inheritance. I nor any of my siblings were aware this child existed. Does this person have any rights to any inheritance since it has been over 5 years and the probate is closed? And if so, would we be out of line to request a DNA test? And... Do you think I need a lawyer?

Thanks for any help you may have!

divgradcurl

thrownintothis said:
What is the name of your state? CA
My mother passed away 5 years ago without a will. Probate was processed distributing all her assets among myself and 4 siblings. I just received a letter in the mail from a person stating they are the child of my deceased brother wanting his share of the inheritance. I nor any of my siblings were aware this child existed. Does this person have any rights to any inheritance since it has been over 5 years and the probate is closed? And if so, would we be out of line to request a DNA test? And... Do you think I need a lawyer?

Thanks for any help you may have!
Was the child a minor when your mom died? Is the child still a minor? Typically, the SOL for recovery of real property is 5 years, and the SOL for recovery of other property is 3 years, but if you mom dies while the child was still a minor, the SOL "clock" doesn't start until the child reached the age of 18.

A DNA test may be part of what the child needs to authenticate his or her claim.

You probably should hire a lawyer.

thrownintothis

The child was 18 and a few months old when my mother passed away. She is now claiming to get a lawyer and proceed to get my deceased brothers share. Do you think I should let her and wait for them to contact me or would I be better off getting a lawyer now? I want to resolve this and not have to worry about it coming up again in the years to come.

BelizeBreeze

thrownintothis said:
The child was 18 and a few months old when my mother passed away. She is now claiming to get a lawyer and proceed to get my deceased brothers share. Do you think I should let her and wait for them to contact me or would I be better off getting a lawyer now? I want to resolve this and not have to worry about it coming up again in the years to come.
If this "child" was an adult at the time of the death, then, as Div was alluding to, the SOL has run.

However, and I'm sure DIV would agree, it won't hurt to have an attorney review the situation before it escalates.

nextwife

Are they LEGALLY established as his child? Was a paternity test ever done, or was the child declared his son by a court?

rmet4nzkx

When did you brother die? When was this person notified of the death/s? When was paternity proved? This date is important in CA law.
http://law.justia.us/california/codes/prob.html
CHAPTER 1. INTESTATE DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM ******************************************... 240-241
CHAPTER 2. DISTRIBUTION UNDER A WILL, TRUST, OR OTHER INSTRUMENT 245-247
CHAPTER 3. IDENTITY OF HEIRS ********************************************************...... 248-249.8

thrownintothis

My brothers name is on the copy of the birth certificate she sent along with her demand letter. My brother died in 1992, I didn't know the child existed so I don't know when or how she heard of his death. She is aware of his death according to the letter I received, but I am unsure of how long she has known. I have heard from several lawyers in my area that the SOL has run out so I shouldn't have to worry. Do you think I will be hurting myself by waiting for her to obtain a lawyer if she's going to? I don't even know that she is my brother's daughter. My brother was a paranoid schizophrenic who was suicidal. His death was ruled an overdose, but the way his body was discovered some think it was suicide. If she's entitled to anything that's fine. I just don't want her coming back in a couple years and me possibly not having the money to give her and having to get a loan to settle this when it could be done now.

Isn't that why you are required to publish deaths in the paper, to give any heirs and creditors notice so they can come forward if need be? I know we had some creditors notify us and we paid them as required?

rmet4nzkx

thrownintothis said:
My brothers name is on the copy of the birth certificate she sent along with her demand letter. My brother died in 1992, I didn't know the child existed so I don't know when or how she heard of his death. She is aware of his death according to the letter I received, but I am unsure of how long she has known. I have heard from several lawyers in my area that the SOL has run out so I shouldn't have to worry. Do you think I will be hurting myself by waiting for her to obtain a lawyer if she's going to? I don't even know that she is my brother's daughter. My brother was a paranoid schizophrenic who was suicidal. His death was ruled an overdose, but the way his body was discovered some think it was suicide. If she's entitled to anything that's fine. I just don't want her coming back in a couple years and me possibly not having the money to give her and having to get a loan to settle this when it could be done now.
Did your brother have any other heirs? What happened to his share? What was his share of the estate?

Your brother was a PS so it is unlikely that he was legally competent, his lack of competency should not adversely affect his legal heirs and it could be argued that since you didn't attempt to contact her that the statute of limitaitons begins with the date of discovery.

While his name on the BC doesn't establish paternity as it would today since a couple must be married, AOP or adjudicated, it is still possible he is her father or at least the person she had every reason to believe was her father. Since he dies while she was a minor, if he worked, and or had social security disability benefits, she would have been entitled we just don't have the facts here.

She has every right to obtain counsel and make a claim, and make arguments for not being timely. I think it is possible to argue the case depending upon the facts. You can wait for her to do that.

What is morally right? This is a child that for what ever reason didn't know her father or have an opportunity to know him, or you to know she existed and may have even been denied benefits to which she was entitled. My suggestion since you still have the money is to get a DNA test, this can be done with family members if there is no retained DNA source available or another sibling. Then welcome her into the famly and distribute her inheiritance to her. If she is proved to be your niece, why run up legal bills needlessly? The $500 or so for a DNA test will be worth the investment.

nextwife

ONe other question.

The will may NOT have had language that allocated a deceased heirs share to THEIR heirs. Some wills have language that allocates the inheritance among, say, their OWN surviving children. In which case, deceased brother's share would belong to their still living siblings. It really depends on how the will is worded. If, for example, brother's children (were there other children?) were not entitled to any inheritance at all, this child is also not entitled.

rmet4nzkx

nextwife said:
ONe other question.

The will may NOT have had language that allocated a deceased heirs share to THEIR heirs. Some wills have language that allocates the inheritance among, say, their OWN surviving children. In which case, deceased brother's share would belong to their still living siblings. It really depends on how the will is worded. If, for example, brother's children (were there other children?) were not entitled to any inheritance at all, this child is also not entitled.
THere was no will, grandma died intestate.
My mother passed away 5 years ago without a will. Probate was processed distributing all her assets among myself and 4 siblings.
So grandma's estate was split 5 ways excluding the deceased sibling and their heirs because she didn't know of her existance didn't attempt to notify her. I included a link to the statutes for intestate sucsession and notice to heirs in my previous post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">