• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of State Personal Representative to administer the estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eztravel

What is the name of your state? NJ.

The heirs of my uncle estate are now trying to figure out our next steps. One aunt(only a half sister) who lives in FL where my uncle resides has retained a lawyer. We spoke with the lawyer today and they want my aunt to be the "personal representative" because she lives in FL. When we mentioned that we would like a co-personal representative we were told that because we are out of state that we would have to put up a bond of 10% or about $50,000 is this true and why? My sister and I are the first in line(not sure what you call it but we are full blood because my dad was a full brother) and my aunt is next so she needs us however we do not trust that her motives are pure but we are in NJ and she is there in FL and the lawfirm has stated that they will include us and give us copies of everything but we are just not sure if we have any other options at this point. Please Help!

seniorjudge

Q: When we mentioned that we would like a co-personal representative we were told that because we are out of state that we would have to put up a bond of 10% or about $50,000 is this true and why?

A: Yes, that is the general rule because you are from out of state and harder for the court to control.

Dandy Don

You have nothing to worry about, or maybe you should ask that only an attorney serve as personal rep. Any actions done with this estate are going to be reviewed by the court, so no one will be able to get away with anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">