• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Outline of the Process to Settle an Estate - Execute a Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Legal Beagle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

Is there a step by step process that can help me execute a will?

Some background Information:
My wife's father just passed away and she is the executor of his will. We have been managing his finances for him (POA) for the last few years.

What are the steps to close his estate (all he has is monetary investments - no property) which adds up to under $650K?

What steps actually require a lawyer and what ones can I do myself?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

latigo

Hire an experienced probate attorney for crying out loud.

Your wife is named to administer an estate with a net of $650K and you are trying to save a few bucks by doing all or part of the legal work – work that you are unqualified to perform? Double dumb.

A very wise man once said “a man who represents himself in court has a fool for a client.” That man became our 16th President.

JETX

A very wise man once said “a man who represents himself in court has a fool for a client.” That man became our 16th President.
Common mistake..... but NOT correct.....
Your 'quote' wasn't made by the 16th President (Abraham Lincoln). It was actually proclaimed proudly by Gomez Addams..... from the Addams family television show when he stated "They say that a man who represents himself in court has a fool for a client. And, with God as my witness, I am that fool!")

According to the following site, "He who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client." originated from a Proverb.
Lawyer Quotes, Famous Lawyer Quotes, Quotations, Sayings about Lawyers
also
Proverb quotes
and
A man who is his own lawyer has a fool for his client: Information from Answers.com

Lincoln DID say that if one is “resolutely determined to make a lawyer of [one]self, the thing is more than half done already.” The phrase has been rearticulated over time to a more familiar phrase: “A person who represents himself has a fool for a client.”
Bench & Bar of Minnesota

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">