• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paid on Death Beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mysis

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
My father has monies in his bank that have been listed as Paid On Death equally to his four children. My sister, who was married for only 23 months, died suddenly 4 months ago. My father has not taken her name off or changed the name on the POD as of yet. My question is: If my father passes away (he is not in good health) and leaves my sister's name as POD on this document, will her husband automatically be able to inherit this money since he is her surviving spouse as she has no children? If not, what will happen to the monies that were to go to my sister? Unfortunately, My father has no will or trust as he feels the POD on his documents is enough. The relationship we had/have with her husband is not good. My sister took her own life due to the emotionally abusive marriage she was in. We have not spoken to or heard one word from her husband since the funeral. My family lives in Ohio, he lives in Michigan. Thank you in advance for your answer.

Last edited:

anteater

Your father should check with the bank. And, just to play ti safe, he should revise the beneficiary designation if that is what he wants to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">