• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paranoia or Justified Concern?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ParanoidOne

What is the name of your state? TX

I recently had a parent pass away, and there is a wrongful death suit in progress and settlement seems likely. My stepparent, who has a private attorney, wants all of the "heirs" of the estate to sign papers making said stepparent the executor of estate. This would not be a problem for me except for personal knowledge I have about this person's financial capabilities. Both my parent and the stepparent were notoriously terrible money handlers, who borrowed money from relatives (including from me) and then squandered it away.

I secured them a loan as an 18 year old (naive idiot) for the purchase of a home. The banker, not knowing their history, suggested to get a lower interest rate on a loan that I secure it with a CD that I had. The house was in their name, and the loan in mine. After they didn't make payment on the loan several times (and I even bailed them out once by paying the back payments myself), my CD was forfeited (about $20,000). A couple of years after the house was theirs free-and-clear and my CD was gone, they refinanced the house and ended up completely losing it. My questions are: How much power does the executor have over the estate AND should I be concerned about appointing my stepparent as executor? Sorry so lengthy, but I wanted to get the point across. Thanks!

Shay-Pari'e

We can't tell you if you should be concerned with this or not. I have a question.............If they lost the house and you at the age of 18 had to secure the loan for them, what estate are you concerned about? Personal items? What?

There is no house.

ParanoidOne

The estate of which I am speaking is the lawsuit (wrongful death now) and potential subsequent settlements. My step-parent has a lawyer working exclusively for them. The house is gone, of course. I am not worried about that. The story I told about the house was to give some insight on my personal financial history with this individual. The money which I lost on the CD was money left to me by the death of my first parent when I was nine years old.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">