• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent has passed, only child**************..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tina Langness

Wisconsin

My mother passed away in September and resided in AZ.
I am her only child and reside in WI.
She was of very little means, but had a handwritten notarized will, and has received two checks in her name for a auto insurance and utility refund.
I cannot afford a attorney, nor is there money in her estate for one.
My bank told me I can go to IRS.gov and file for a EIN # in her name. I can then open an estate account at my bank to deposit these small funds - as of now I can do nothing with them being they are not in my name. Is this accurate information?
What legal documentation do I need to substantiate I am her only heir? Can this be done without an attorney? Do I need to go through the state of AZ for anything I would need?
Her creditors, bank, etc. have been notified of her death and have been sent certified copies, or copies of her death certificate.
Thank you for your help.

LdiJ

Wisconsin

My mother passed away in September and resided in AZ.
I am her only child and reside in WI.
She was of very little means, but had a handwritten notarized will, and has received two checks in her name for a auto insurance and utility refund.
I cannot afford a attorney, nor is there money in her estate for one.
My bank told me I can go to IRS.gov and file for a EIN # in her name. I can then open an estate account at my bank to deposit these small funds - as of now I can do nothing with them being they are not in my name. Is this accurate information?
What legal documentation do I need to substantiate I am her only heir? Can this be done without an attorney? Do I need to go through the state of AZ for anything I would need?
Her creditors, bank, etc. have been notified of her death and have been sent certified copies, or copies of her death certificate.
Thank you for your help.
Yes, you can do what your bank suggested, but if she had creditors that small amount of money would have to go towards her debts first. It may not be worth pursuing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">