• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying expenses on inherited property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ANGUS

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My Mother and I are co-executors as well as heirs of my Fathers estate. I have 3 siblings whom are also heirs. My Father left his "Vacation home" (5th wheel travel trailer and plot of land in the mountains in an RV park) 1/2 to my Mother with the remaining 1/2 going to my 3 siblings and I. Associated expenses such as park fees, property taxes, insurance, and electrical power totals come to an average of $1,200.00 per year. All other debts owed by the estate have been paid in full and a sum of money remains in the estate account.
2 of my siblings tend to be iresponsible and can't be counted on to pay their" fair share" (total divided by 5) of these expenses.

My first question is: Is it proper/legal for my Mother and I to keep a balance in the estate account to pay these fees as they present themselves or must/should we disburse the funds in the estate account equally to the heirs? Right or wrong up to this point, and due to the dificulties in having my 2 siblings pay their shares, my Mothers and my reasoning has been that "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush" so to speak and we planned on simply paing these fees from the estate account as they present themselves.

If we disburse the estate funds, we will run a spreadsheet regarding whomever is/was delinquent in paying their equal share(s). If we were ever to decide to sell the vacation home and per my Fathers will, 50% would go to my Mother and the remaining 50% to my 3 siblings and I.

My second question is:
If we do indeed sell the property and my sibling(s) are delinquent in paying these expenses, is it proper/legal to withhold from their share the ammounts delinquent?

Thank you for your time and I'll look forward to your responses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">