• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying expenses of people doing all the work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

randalljoseph

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? IL I am the executor of my parents' estate and have quite a large mess to clean up ( cluttered home, unpaid bills, tracking numerous bank accounts) . The time and gas are getting to be quite expensive and only 2 of 4 siblings are doing all the work. Can we get time and mileage $, or a meal if we are working paid for by the estate? We have an estate checking account and are documenting all bill paying and income in a log. I am doing the bulk of the work trying to straighten out a mess that one of my sisters made while taking care of my invalid mother. Any advice would be appreciated, I want to do everything by the book>

BlondiePB

randalljoseph said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? IL I am the executor of my parents' estate and have quite a large mess to clean up ( cluttered home, unpaid bills, tracking numerous bank accounts) . The time and gas are getting to be quite expensive and only 2 of 4 siblings are doing all the work. Can we get time and mileage $, or a meal if we are working paid for by the estate? We have an estate checking account and are documenting all bill paying and income in a log. I am doing the bulk of the work trying to straighten out a mess that one of my sisters made while taking care of my invalid mother. Any advice would be appreciated, I want to do everything by the book>
As executor, you are entitled to executor fees. Don't you think that paying yourself again for the time you are spending cleaning the estate would be paying yourself twice? You can pay other's from the estate account to help you, excluding meals and mileage.

Here's a link to another thread that may be helpful for you with the household belongs.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=213245

randalljoseph

I was under the impression that I could not take any money until all was settled. The ride is 50 miles each way for both my sister and I so if I could atleast pay her for her time it would help her tremendously. I was not trying to pay myself double, just filling my gas tank twice a week for cleaning is killing my budget and it looks like we could be doing this for months.

BlondiePB

randalljoseph said:
I was under the impression that I could not take any money until all was settled. The ride is 50 miles each way for both my sister and I so if I could atleast pay her for her time it would help her tremendously. I was not trying to pay myself double, just filling my gas tank twice a week for cleaning is killing my budget and it looks like we could be doing this for months.
Your state statutes will dictate what is legally allowable regarding executor fees. As for your sister, you are allowed to pay her for her time now. Keep records and receipts of this.

You do not have to do this for months. One of the most important jobs for you as the executor is to go through papers. Box them up and take them home. Hire estate liquidators for the contents of the house and get the job done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">