• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payment of *Extraordinary Expenses* who sets the amount?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Redrocr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
A three year family estate was settled, and there was no will, so a petitioner( a cousin that was an heir as well) was assigned. Long story short.. he requested and was granted a substantial amount for * extraordinary fees* over and above the estate split. My question is- who decides the amount of this, and on what criteria is this awarded? The judge denied 20K of it.. and now he is coming to the remaining family heirs to pay him what he was not granted. This has put a very awkward strain on the family as you can imagine, and am trying to politely tell him he is not getting my money!

anteater

My question is- who decides the amount of this, and on what criteria is this awarded?
You kind of answered your own question:

The judge denied 20K of it..
The court decides. Here is the Florida statute on compensation:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0733/Sections/0733.617.html

... and am trying to politely tell him he is not getting my money!
You say, "Cuz, you made your case for compensation to the court. The court considered it and decided. Game over."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">