• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pennsylvania Estate & Probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelly0224

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania:

My dad just passed without a will. He was divorced. He had been sick for some time and had distributed assets as gifts long ago. He felt he had taken care of everything. I am the eldest of his 3 children. All that is left is:
Bank#1
Bank checking account - approx $1000
Bank money market - approx $2000

Bank #2
Savings - $1000 (to be issued in a check to the Funeral Home)

A vehicle with death insurance benefits that will pay it off and the listed beneficiary is "the estate." FMV = $10,500

A pension death benefit of $4000 to a off the record business partner.

He had given the vehicle to me informally, but my siblings are aware and will not contest it. And then the $3000 at Bank #1 will be distributed equally amongst the 3 children.

Also - we are 100% that there are no outstanding debts.

Questions:
I assume the items listed above are called "the estate"

What exactly is probate? Do we need a lawyer? Is what I described above a "small estate"? What do we have to pay PA estate tax on, what do we have to pay inheritance tax on? Seems like this should be easy; but if a lawyer is necessary is this usually an expensive bill?

All help will be appreciated!
Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">