• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Property to be Probated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tnt4nu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Nebraska
My father recently passed away without a will. Survivors are myself, my mother, and 4 siblings. My dad owned a small collection of firearms. If my mother and all the siblings agree on how the firearms should be distributed, is it necessary to enter the firearms into the probate process? I understand that they will be included in determining if estate taxes will need to be paid, but does Nebraska law require them to go through probate prior to being distributed? Also, my sister will be executor. If law requires her to enter them into probate, but decides not to because we all agree as to their distribution, can she be penalized or removed as executor? Thanks.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Not sure exactly what you mean. They are a part of the estate. If all beneficiaries agree (on paper) to a certain distribution, then there should be no problem.

tnt4nu

I realize that they need included in the estate's inventory, but can they be distributed now or do we need to wait until the probate court "approves" of their distribution or directs the executor to "distribute the assets"?

OHRoadwarrior

Two factors come to mind. First if there are creditor claims, in excess of the estate value, the firearms must be disposed of, as needed to settle creditor claims. Second, the executor will be required to be in compliance with any related firearm notification laws in effect.

tnt4nu

Ok. I am not sure how to find out about the firearm notification laws--would I need to search for this on federal AND state level? Thanks

curb1

Were Mom and Dad married at the time of death? How does anyone know who owns the firearms? Mother could very easily be a part owner in these. I would suggest to distribute and forget it. This has happened in our family on a couple of occasions and there has been zero repercussions.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Were Mom and Dad married at the time of death? How does anyone know who owns the firearms? Mother could very easily be a part owner in these. I would suggest to distribute and forget it. This has happened in our family on a couple of occasions and there has been zero repercussions.

Good point - honestly, if the folks who get the items want other folks to have them, they can just give them as gifts after the probate matters are done.

curb1

Under Nebraska statutes, where the personal property of an estate is valued at not more than $50,000, an interested party may, thirty (30) days after the death of the decedent, issue a small estate affidavit to collect any debts owed to the decedent.

30-24,125

(a) Thirty days after the death of a decedent, any person indebted to the decedent or having possession of tangible personal property or an instrument evidencing a debt, obligation, stock, or chose in action belonging to the decedent shall make payment of the indebtedness or deliver the tangible personal property or an instrument evidencing a debt, obligation, stock, or chose in action to a person claiming to be the successor of the decedent upon being presented an affidavit made by or on behalf of the successor stating:

(1) the value of all of the personal property in the decedent's estate, wherever located, less liens and encumbrances, does not exceed twenty-five fifty thousand dollars;

(2) thirty days have elapsed since the death of the decedent as shown in a certified or authenticated copy of the decedent's death certificate attached to the affidavit;

(3) the claiming successor's relationship to the decedent or, if there is no relationship, the basis of the successor's claim to the personal property;

(4) the person or persons claiming as successors under the affidavit swear or affirm that all statements in the affidavit are true and material and further acknowledge that any false statement may subject the person or persons to penalties relating to perjury under section 28-915;

(5) no application or petition for the appointment of a personal representative is pending or has been granted in any jurisdiction; and

(6) the claiming successor is entitled to payment or delivery of the property.

(b) A transfer agent of any security shall change the registered ownership on the books of a corporation from the decedent to the successor or successors upon the presentation of an affidavit as provided in subsection (a).

(c) In addition to compliance with the requirements of subsection (a), a person seeking a transfer of a certificate of title to a motor vehicle, motorboat, all-terrain vehicle, or minibike shall be required to furnish to the Department of Motor Vehicles an affidavit showing applicability of this section and compliance with the requirements of this section to authorize the department to issue a new certificate of title.

30-24,126 Effect of affidavit.

The person paying, delivering, transferring, or issuing personal property or the evidence thereof pursuant to affidavit is discharged and released to the same extent as if he dealt with a personal representative of the decedent. He is not required to see to the application of the personal property or evidence thereof or to inquire into the truth of any statement in the affidavit. If any person to whom an affidavit is delivered refuses to pay, deliver, transfer, or issue any personal property or evidence thereof, it may be recovered or its payment, delivery, transfer, or issuance compelled upon proof of their right in a proceeding brought for the purpose by or on behalf of the persons entitled thereto. Any person to whom payment, delivery, transfer or issuance is made is answerable and accountable therefor to any personal representative of the estate or to any other person having a superior right.

30-24,127 Small estates; summary administrative procedure.

If it appears from the inventory and appraisal that the value of the entire estate, less liens and encumbrances, does not exceed homestead allowance, exempt property, family allowance, costs and expenses of administration, reasonable funeral expenses, and reasonable and necessary medical and hospital expenses of the last illness of the decedent, the personal representative, without giving notice to creditors, may immediately disburse and distribute the estate to the persons entitled thereto and file a closing statement as provided in section 30-24,128.

30-24,128 Small estates; closing by sworn statement of personal representative.

(a) Unless prohibited by order of the court and except for estates being administered by supervised personal representatives, a personal representative may close an estate administered under the summary procedures of section 30-24,127 by filing with the court, at any time after disbursement and distribution of the estate, a verified statement stating that:

(1) to the best knowledge of the personal representative, the value of the entire estate, less liens and encumbrances, did not exceed homestead allowance, exempt property, family allowance, costs and expenses of administration, reasonable funeral expenses, and reasonable and necessary medical and hospital expenses of the last illness of the decedent;

(2) the personal representative has fully administered the estate by disbursing and distributing it to the persons entitled thereto; and

(3) the personal representative has sent a copy of the closing statement to all distributees of the estate and to all creditors or other claimants of whom he is aware whose claims are neither paid nor barred and has furnished a full account in writing of his administration to the distributees whose interests are affected.

(b) If no actions or proceedings involving the personal representative are pending in the court one year after the closing statement is filed, the appointment of the personal representative terminates.

(c) A closing statement filed under this section has the same effect as one filed under section 30-24,117.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">