• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Representative holding up estate.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lpat

What is the name of your state?Michigan
My grandfather passed in 1990. He left a Will listing my father as Personal Representative of his estate. He had land, cash, and other personal property. His Will left my father fifty percent of his estate; myself and 3 siblings the remaining fifty percent to be divided equally. I have seen absolutely no resolve and have no idea what the status is of the estate. Is there a time limit a personal representative has to sell assets and distribute monies to the heirs named in the Will?

lwpat

Go to the probate court and check to see if there is a file. If so that will probably give you the information that you need. If not then the question is why have you waited so long? What is your current relationship with your father and your brothers/sisters. In other words please give us the rest of the story if you want advice.

Dandy Don

For some reason, father has decided not to probate the will, which is improper and also possibly illegal. Get your own attorney to get probate opened up on this so your attorney can ask the judge to ask father to produce the will for probate court.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

lwpat

For some reason, father has decided not to probate the will
And you have absolutely nothing on which to base that statement since the court has not been checked. It is quite possible that a will was probated leaving everything to the father.

Just because the OP saw a will or was told of a will does not mean that it was the actual will accepted by the court.

Dandy Don

I beg to differ--my conclusion makes more logical sense than your statement does. If a will HAD been probated, the poster would have been notified by now since she was a potential beneficiary. There is no "actual will accepted by the court".

lwpat

If a will HAD been probated, the poster would have been notified by now since she was a potential beneficiary
You are forgetting that this is fifteen years old and you have no idea the age of the poster. Once the OP checks the probate court your theory will be either proved or disproved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">