• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Representative Letter Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EJD1984

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

My father just passed this week (69), and I'm at a total loss where to begin.

He was unmarried (divorced 35+ years ago), but living with a girlfriend the past 15 years. (Maryland doesn't have a Common-Law-Marriage provision.)

I know he has a minivan, and a few small accounts that I'll need to close out, and he never had any credit cards (really old school). How do I get a Personal Representative Letter? Do I really need a lawyer? Or can I do this on my own?

Also if he had a pension, would that go to me or just be stopped? I'm the only child. In fact now last relative in the intimidate family (feeling more than a little alone now).

Any help steering my in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

anteater

My condolences on your loss. Take some time. There's generally no need to rush into the probate process.

The Maryland Register of Wills has a good introductory website:

http://registers.maryland.gov/main/packets/infoguide.html

You may be able to use the small estates procedure rather than having to do a regular probate.

Also if he had a pension, would that go to me or just be stopped?
You will have to contact the pension administrator (at the company he worked for or the union). It simply depends upon the plan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">