• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Representative Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pbr323232

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine I have a question about the role of a personal representative. I am a benificary of an estate with two other persons. One of whom is the representative of the estate. The estate was file in probate with a will and an attorney is handling the estate. A house which was part of the estate was sold recently and was the last part of the estate to be settled. The entire proceeds from the sale went into the personal representatives checking account for the estate instead of being held by the attorney. The personal represenative says he will write a check to the heirs after the attorney says okay. Meanwhile the personal represenative can write checks or do withdraws as he see fit without apparently any oversight by anyone. Some funds have already been withdrawn to pay unrelated matters it appears. I would of thought the funds should be held by the attorney and then distributed. The representative could delete the account or misuse the funds at his will or he could die mean while. I am talking the attorney tomorow. Doesn't seem correct to me. Any help much appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">