• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

please explain "notice to quit"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

Can someone please clarify what notice to quit means? I am administrator of state, one sibling remains in my parents house but has been rummaging through the belongings. I am sure he has taken items of value.
How long will he have in the house once a notice to quit is given? Can he be removed immediately?
And can we search his belongings before he takes them to make sure he has not taken anything that does not beling to him?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

Can someone please clarify what notice to quit means? I am administrator of state, one sibling remains in my parents house but has been rummaging through the belongings. I am sure he has taken items of value.
How long will he have in the house once a notice to quit is given? Can he be removed immediately?
And can we search his belongings before he takes them to make sure he has not taken anything that does not beling to him?

1. Check your state statute - but expect the eviction process (which must happen after the notice to quit has been given and has expired) to take at least 30 days.

2. No.

3. Not without his permission.

justalayman

it all depends on under what basis you are issuing the order to quit. Generally that term is used in a landlord tenant situation and is simply notice to leave.

Is this where that relative has lived prior to your parents death? If so, you have to issue the order to quit with proper notice. I would have to look but most states require a 30 day notice before eviction proceedings can be initiated. Depending on the state, it could be anywhere from a couple weeks to an eternity after that before a court would order the tenant to leave and actually take action to remove them.

If the family member is stealing items, you can report this to the police. It is theft.

As to entering the premises; you do have a right, as executor, to inventory and catalog the property of the decedent(s) but you have to be cautious to respect the rights of the sibling if they are a legal tenant of the premises.

No, you cannot search his property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">