• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

neciey2

My sister and myself reside in South Carolina. My father, who passed away on April 19, 2005, died in a hospital in Philadelphia, Pa. but we (my sister & I) had him brought home (SC) to be buried. Upon trying to go through probate court in Philadelphia, we were told that we needed to have a copy of our long form birth certificates which listed our father's name. We acquired our birth certificates and the section for the father information is blank due to the fact that our mother and father were never married. We were then told that in order to have our father entered onto our birth certificates we would have to get a lawyer and a court order. We did contact a lawyer, whose fee would be $2500, and we cannot afford. My income is $20 over the limit for legal aide! What I would like to know is if there is anyone who can advise me on how to handle this matter in the courts acting as my own representation or if there are any other means as to which this matter can be handled without the assistance of a lawyer. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dandy Don

You need to be talking to a family law attorney--there are many who would do this for a much more reasonable fee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">