• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help! Can the executor decide what price to sell the deceased's house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gigimi

What is the name of your state? PA

My grandmother's three children are arguing over the estate. The executor of the will is my aunt's husband, who is a lawyer. My aunt is threatening that her husband can sell my grandmother's house at whatever price he wants as the executor. They want to sell the 3BR,2KIT, 21/2Bath home with 7+ acres for $150k to their son. This price is grossly below what comparable homes sell for in the area. Before their son wanted the house, my aunt's husband said that he thought it would sell for $200k.

The appraiser that my aunt hand picked made many errors on the appraisal, and my aunt is the only one with keys to my grandmother's house since my mom and uncle live out of state. She will not permit my mom to get a second appraisal. The appraisal was done without having any other heir present.

I think they know something is fishy here. They have not come right out and said it, but they are alluding that if my mom fights the price of the house, my aunt's husband will take his executor's fee. If she backs down on the house, they will waive his fee.

My aunt also said that since her name is listed as a joint account holder on my grandmother's checking accounts and CDs, that she is the only person entitled to the money in those accounts. She is offering to pay my mom and uncle $13,000 each out of these accounts if they will sell the house to their son for $150k. My mom has refused to do this out of principle.

Can the executor decide to sell the house at whatever price he wants without any say from all of the heirs? What are the executor's rights in PA? What can we do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">