• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

please help if you can

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

glockcoma

What is the name of your state? California

not sure if this the right place to post this, but here it goes,

I was 19 when my father died, 27 now, and I was an iligimate child which I was proven to be his daughter in court when I was about 7 years old, then became a part in my life and we became real close. The question is that he owned a business and had 4 other children, which each recieved settlements from a life insurance and a will, I was told that I was left nothing, actually I was never told or givin nothing and Im embarassed to ask. His wife was never to happy with my existance and she is an attorney, what are my options to find out if there was anything my father left me behind.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? California

not sure if this the right place to post this, but here it goes,

I was 19 when my father died, 27 now, and I was an iligimate child which I was proven to be his daughter in court when I was about 7 years old, then became a part in my life and we became real close. The question is that he owned a business and had 4 other children, which each recieved settlements from a life insurance and a will, I was told that I was left nothing, actually I was never told or givin nothing and Im embarassed to ask. His wife was never to happy with my existance and she is an attorney, what are my options to find out if there was anything my father left me behind.
If probate was opened, you can check at the county courthouse for information. This is a hard one. Knowing that no wife would be happy about a child born outside of the marriage, he could have made separate arrangements for you. I'm not sure what to tell you.

Dandy Don

If there is a probate file for him, get a copy of the will or go to the courthouse and look at all of the documents in the file to see exactly how the estate was handled.

If he disinherited you and if he mentioned the reason for disinheriting you, then you have no chance of collecting anything. But if you are mentioned as a beneficiary or if you are not mentioned as a beneficiary, then consult an attorney to find out if you have any options to pursue a claim. Due to so much time having passed, you may have waited too late since there is probably a statute of limitations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">