• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

POA has destoyed/hidden will & transferred $500K to her account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

My mother's sister passed away in November in Iowa. My uncle passed in'97. They had no children and my two brothers and I were their only relatives besides my mother. My aunt was legally blind and my mother had power of attorney after my uncle passed.

My mother played the grieving sister for the last two months and said she couldn't deal with the "paperwork" because of it. But as of two days ago, she told my brothers and I that everything belongs to her and says there was no will. My aunt and uncle we're totally organized and had everything in order. A number of years ago, I saw a copy of their will in my mother's office - they left their entire estate to my brothers and I. It was common knowledge - talked about many times over the years. My aunt had brought it up while she was in the hospital a month before she passed away.

My brother did a little sleuthing tonight and found paperwork showing my mother had her assets (over $500,000 in stocks and bank accounts) transferred to her name just days after my aunt's death. We're sure there's more than that but that's all we could find at this point. She also took all of my aunts possessions from her apartment - countless antiques of significant value. Offered me an aluminum salad bowl. Thanks but no thanks Mom.

Sad to say but my mother is a really nasty woman. We've always known she's greedy and has no conscience but my brothers and I are in a state of shock. My aunt was old fashioned and always had envelopes full of $100 bills. We knew she'd steal the cash from her apartment (my brother saw the bank envelopes with my aunt's scribble notes in my mother's desk drawer - $22,000 in cash - took pictures) but had no idea she'd commit a crime as big as destroying/hiding the will. Could she go to jail for this??? Not what we're after - just want her to come clean with us.

Do we have any recourse at all without copies of the will(s)? I checked with the county in Illinois where my uncle passed away and no will was ever filed with the court .Imagine that - guess she's been planning this for 15 years. I've started calling law firms in the city they lived but have yet to find their attorney. I'm wondering if looking at old real estate transactions from the '80's might turn up a name of a law firm or if the financial advisor they had for 30+ years at Smith Barney might have record of their attorney. Nervous about contacting him b/c my mother has a relationship with him b/c of POA status. Do we send her a "Demand To Produce Copy of Will"?
Demand an accounting of the last 15 years and hit her with breach of fiduciary duty?

My mother is wealthy and knows every attorney in our home town. We're really afraid she's going to get away with this. My brother and I love my father and don't think he's involved but when this hits the fan, we will lose our relationship with him. Guess we're looking for someone to tell us we have a leg to stand on and it's worth pursuing.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

tranquility

Your only option is to get an attorney. You don't have any standing to challenge anything right now, so you need someone who will develop some facts for you to actually accuse mom of fraud.

tranquility

If you are named in a will copy, you might have standing to challenge mother in court. It is a long way from a win because there are many ways a copy is not valid, but, at least you can probably start some type of proceeding. While less certain, but still possible, if you have uninterested witnesses who will testify as to what the decedent said about having a will, that might be enough to challenge the estates claim of intestacy too. But, it really would depend on all the facts. In any event, this is going to be expensive litigation and you have to get an attorney in up front to have a chance.

Info edit:
What you need is:
IN RE GIVENS'ESTATE, 119 NW 2d 191 - Iowa: Supreme Court 1963
A proceeding to establish a lost will requires proof of these items: 1, due execution and former existence of the alleged will; 2, that it has been lost and could not be found after diligent search; 3, that the presumption of destruction by decedent with intent to revoke it, arising from its absence at death, has been rebutted by the required quantum of proof; and 4, the contents of the will. In re Estate of Lawrence, 251 Iowa 305, 309, 100 N.W.2d 645, 649, and citations. It is only after each of these things has been proven that the will may be admitted to probate, and its admission challenged in an ordinary will contest.

Last edited:

Zos

We would have uninterested witnesses that could testify to her will and the contents as it was common knowledge but they are lifelong family friends of my parents and I'm sure would be very hesitant at getting involved.

Any ideas on other avenues for us to find their original attorney?

Zos

Ok, was just hoping there were things I might be missing that I could be researching right now.

curb1

When your two brothers and yourself stand in front of your mother and ask her about the will that you know exists, and you know she knows exists, what does she say?

FlyingRon

All the accounts that are jointly held with the mom are now your owns regardless of what the will says.
You need an attorney. We can't really tell at a distance what is going on here.

curb1

Agreed, if Mom's name is on the accounts, this situation becomes very difficult for you. There might not be any assets left controlled by the will. Your only chance might be if you can prove Mom manipulated the situation and that also could be very difficult. Are you in Mom's will? Be careful how you handle this. It might be better to keep quiet.

Zos

When your two brothers and yourself stand in front of your mother and ask her about the will that you know exists, and you know she knows exists, what does she say?
We haven't done that. One of my brother's is out of state and hasn't spoken to her in a very long time. My other brother and I were in such a state of shock we didn't say anything when this came down 2 days ago. Knowing our mother, we've decided we better get all the evidence we can before we confront her. She & my father are leaving in 10 days for a 3 week vacation and we feel we can find evidence in her house as she is completely disorganized when it comes to papers. Massive house with 3 rooms devoted entirely to files and old paperwork. There has to be something there that she hasn't found and destroyed already.

Zos

Agreed, if Mom's name is on the accounts, this situation becomes very difficult for you. There might not be any assets left controlled by the will. Your only chance might be if you can prove Mom manipulated the situation and that also could be very difficult. Are you in Mom's will? Be careful how you handle this. It might be better to keep quiet.
What do you need to show manipulation? Is there manipulation when she had accounts transferred a month before her death?

As far as her will goes, the estate is divided between my brothers and I with the favorite son getting control of a business as well. That being said, the way my mother spends money, there very likely could be nothing left when she dies or if there is, we could see her leaving the entire thing to the historical society as her last stab in the back.

tranquility

You need a consultation with a qualified attorney in your area. While I understand the desire to not spend the money to find things out, you need an attorney. This is not going to be easy or simple. Knowing "more" is not really going to help. Frankly, by continuing to ask questions as the one above, I suggest you put a dollar on the lottery. Your chances will be better.

Zos

You need a consultation with a qualified attorney in your area. While I understand the desire to not spend the money to find things out, you need an attorney. This is not going to be easy or simple. Knowing "more" is not really going to help. Frankly, by continuing to ask questions as the one above, I suggest you put a dollar on the lottery. Your chances will be better.
I'm sorry, not quite following you as far as what question I shouldn't have asked?

curb1

Yes, it would be worth the effort to run this by an attorney. You will have a better idea where to look and if you have any options. You will need an organized paper trail for this. I'm guessing that your Mom's name was on the accounts and that is why she got the money so easily.

Have brother (or you) start probate. That should open up the dialog quickly. But, talk with an attorney first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">