• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

POD on Bank Accounts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

probateiscrazy

What is the name of your state? Missouri

Hi all,

My father passed away at the end of October, leaving no will or spouse. He left a lot of bills but very few assets – two paid off vehicles and a small bank account.

The question is this: I have been working on a probate account since November – filing as a creditor since I am the only child in this state and we paid for the funeral costs. I found out today that I was listed on my father’s bank account as a “payable upon death” person. This bank is very small and had previously told me that no one else was on my dad’s account. I have been allowed to deposit refunds but I was not allowed to stop an automatic draft coming out of his account. Well, apparently, the teller I got today knew my dad very well and she remembered doing the paperwork to add me on as a POD.

So, what does this mean? Do the funds in the bank bypass the probate process now and come straight to me? Or, what do I do?

Thanks a bunch! This probate process is really wearing me down….

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">