• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of Attorney vs. Personal Representative

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wmcot

What is the name of your state? Colorado

My brother passed away this evening. He had been sick for quite some time so I had been assigned (by him) as POA to take care of his affairs. Now that he has died, I am named as Personal representative in his will.

Can I go on paying his bills using POA or do I now need to send his bank and creditors copies of his will and sign checks from his account some other way than adding "POA"?

I'm new to this (and a bit overwhelmed) so any help would be appreciated.

BlondiePB

Your POA expired upon your brother's passing. Go to the courthouse in the county where your brother lived and open a probate case. You will be issued letters of testamentary/administration that will be your legal authorization to do what needs to be done. Open an estate account, close your brother's bank account and put that money into the estate account. Pay the bills etc. with the estate account. Sorry for your loss.

wmcot

Thanks for the help. I've located the courthouse and will call them before flying in to make sure I have all the necessary documents.

Everyone on this forum is great! It's nice to go into unfamiliar circumstances with some preparation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">