• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a PR obligated to provide me documentation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

polywog

What is the name of your state?
Alabama

I am acting as conservator for a minor (I am also the legal guardian of the minor). The minor was the sole heir of his mother(my sister), who has passed.
Our mother was appointed administrator through my sister's will, and she is also acting as a PR for wrongful death actions brought after my sister's death.

I have recieved two checks, written from the administrator's attornies' trust account, for the minor. There were 4 major settlements pending, and all 4 were reported to me as final. I contacted the administrator and her attorney and requested documentation to support the amounts provided.

I recieved in the mail-- copies of the checks from the attorney I have already described above--which I already had to begin with. These do nothing for me to verify what the money is for, or whom it came from, or why it was settled. I was then contacted by my mother's attorney and told that "for confidentiality" reasons she does not have to turn that information over to me and that she refused to authorize the attorney to do so.

So,my question is: By Alabama Law, does the PR have to provide the conservator and guardian of the sole heir-at-law with documentation that verifies the information requested? Do I have to request it from the court and is she even required to provide verifying documentation to the court?

I was of the mind that heirs would be entitled to view ALL documentation for an estate that they have a legal interest in. Is this not correct?

Thank You

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">