• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mosaic7

What is the name of your state?State Of New Jersey
My mother passed away on February 15, 2003 leaving a Will naming my brother and I sole beneficiary. My brother was named as Executor because he resides close to my mother and I live 3,000 miles away. My brother probated the Will on March 13, 2003.
For a year I have requested an informal accounting of my mother’s estate and had to hire an attorney on February 10, 2004 to secure this information. On May 24,2004 I finally received an informal accounting of my mother’s estate. The estate is worth $300,000 and I was led to believe that my share was $100,000. There is a house that is worth at least $230,000 and my brother wanted the house. My brother had his lawyer send me legal papers stating that for $100,000 I would settle for my share of the estate.
I had my attorney go to probate court on November 15, 2004 and request that the court appoint an executor to replace my brother because taxes, insurance, and other bills were draining the estate.
The court refused my request, but ordered that the house be placed up for sale. The house was placed on the multiple listing system a short time and for six months the house was off the list. The lawyer that I hired is from the same town where my mother’s house is located. Can anyone recommend some options? Thank you.

Dandy Don

(1) Why would you sign papers for a settlement when you could have gotten a little more than $100,000 as your share of this estate?

(2) Why was the home "off the list"? Is there some reason the home did not sell? Is it possible that the asking price was too high and was a fair price gotten by an appraisal?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

mosaic7

The estate is probated in New jersey, I live in California. I have to rely on my lawyer from NJ and he is not very aggressive. I belive that my brother and his attorney are not doing what my mother wished in her will!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">