• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Phyllis Ann

What is the name of your state? California

I have some land that I have been paying taxes on for 15 plus years. The land is in my grandfathers name (Jas Hilton) who has been dead for over 60 years. This land is still in his name. I have no record of his death and my father (his son) has also passed away. What forms do I need to start the process of putting this in my name?

Thank you,
Phyllis Ann:confused:

tecate

There are lots of issues to deal with:

1. Was your father your grandfather's only heir or only devisee under his will?
2. Same question for you.
3. California inheritance tax (repealed in 1982) will apply to your grandfather. When did your father pass on?
4. You may also be able to clear title through adverse possession.
5. Look at the predecessors of Probate Code Section 13150 and 13200 for possible alternatives to formal probate (administration).
6. The value of the realty (don't post it here) at both deaths may also mean estate taxes.

Are you planning on doing this DIY?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">