• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

probate distribution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luismunoz406

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Do grandchildren from deceased daughter or a stepdaughter have a stake on assets distribution, when will only designates 3 living children?

My mother, widow 82,died last month, I filed petition for summary administration with a will, NO mention of grandchildren nor step daughter, it actually states that "if heirs have been left out it was on purpose"...should I mention that they exist? can they contest, refute, argue ?, do they have a say?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Do grandchildren from deceased daughter or a stepdaughter have a stake on assets distribution, when will only designates 3 living children?

My mother, widow 82,died last month, I filed petition for summary administration with a will, NO mention of grandchildren nor step daughter, it actually states that "if heirs have been left out it was on purpose"...should I mention that they exist? can they contest, refute, argue ?, do they have a say?
It would seem that you need to follow the terms of the will. If you do not know how to do this, you may wish to consult with an attorney in your, as yet, unnamed state.

LdiJ

Depending on state law, the heirs of a deceased child (and maybe even a deceased stepchild although unlikely) may have a claim upon an estate. It really depends on how the will was written. You honestly need a local attorney to read the will and advise you.

If the will was written AFTER a fourth sibling passed away and deliberately left out the grandchildren and the step daughter then it likely stands based on what you have said here. If the fourth sibling passed away after the will was written and was included in the will, then its more complicated.

If the step daughter was never included in the will its highly unlikely that the step daughter has any rights at all, but there can be some instances.

Again, you need a local attorney to review the will and possibly the will of the parent's/grandparent's spouse as well.

Please be smart and consult both a local probate attorney and a tax professional. I have seen more than a couple of estate administrators/executors end up being personally liable if they mess up and distribute the estate wrong.

justalayman

The state is very important but you deleted that question when it was presented to you.

Then, as others have stated, the precise wording of the entire will is important.

Then, whether the deceased child predeceased your mother may make a difference and possibly whether the child predeceased the writing of the will.

While this is bringing in something that may not be applicable, there are a lot of people who have died and their estate never been through probate. Has her husbands estate been through probate?

Realistically the best thing you can do is speak with an attorney who can review all of the facts.

tranquility

Tranq, that is not going to help the OP.
Either the will will say it specifically (which can override the state) or the OP supplies the state. In either case, we can give what is meant.

Of course, the two types can be easily defined by an internet search.

That is the issue, I am uncertain how that knowledge is not going to help the OP.

LdiJ

Either the will will say it specifically (which can override the state) or the OP supplies the state. In either case, we can give what is meant.

Of course, the two types can be easily defined by an internet search.

That is the issue, I am uncertain how that knowledge is not going to help the OP.
Its unlikely that the OP is going to understand that well enough, and in context, to even do an internet search.

latigo

My advice is to ignore the rest and take Zigner's advice. Consult with an attorney!

You have taken on a solemn responsibility the pursuit of which has you hopelessly lost. Continuing to grope around and making distribution without legal counsel could result in your ass getting financially burned.

luismunoz406

luismunoz406

My advice is to ignore the rest and take Zigner's advice. Consult with an attorney!

You have taken on a solemn responsibility the pursuit of which has you hopelessly lost. Continuing to grope around and making distribution without legal counsel could result in your ass getting financially burned.
Peace... thanks for the good advice...the will does state per capita...I still don't know if it will complicate matters to mention(3 adult grandchildren, living stepdaughter)

Silverplum

Peace... thanks for the good advice...the will does state per capita...I still don't know if it will complicate matters to mention(3 adult grandchildren, living stepdaughter)
In which US state did she live?

https://law.freeadvice.com/estate_planning/wills/per-stirpes-per-capita.htm

Last edited:

Zigner

I'm not sure that being a stepdaughter will cause her to be considered an "heir" - of course, I could research it if I knew what state we were talking about ;)

luismunoz406

Florida probate,distribution assets

I'm not sure that being a stepdaughter will cause her to be considered an "heir" - of course, I could research it if I knew what state we were talking about ;)
We are talking about Florida, probate court... thanks for the advise..

Zigner

In Florida, stepchildren are not automatically considered heirs. Only biological children (or adopted children, of course.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">