• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xoplex

What is the name of your state? NJ and will is being handled in NY.

To make a long story short, My gramother recently passed away. A year before her death, she was hood winked into moving in with a long lost relative, who inturn convinced my grandgother to change her will. She had also made this person the executor. The relative the put my grand mother in a home a few months after she moved in with the relative.

About a month after my grandmother's death I recieved a letter that was basically somthing to the fact that since there was less than 20k left in the estate and the expences incurred by the executor that she basically get to keep what's left. They filled a small estate proceeding.

Now it is like 6 months later I get a waiver of process consent to probate letter in the mail.
The exectuor's attorney sent it to me. And it basically says this:

It has come to our attention that your grand mother had intention to sue the makers of vioxx. T(Merck) We have just been notified by the "Vioxx Ligitigation Consortium" the firm she consulted with, that they believe a viable claim exists and they intend to file a claim on behalf of the estate.

In order to prosecute the vioxx claim, we will need to do a formal probate proceeding. Will you kindly indicate your consent to the will being admitted to probate and to the appointment of said relative the named executor.

My question is does this mean she would get any monies awarded by Merk in the lawsuit? Why because of a lawsuit is the probate necessary? Is this woman trying to screw us over again?

Thanks for your time, any help is appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">