• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meyerclm

What is the name of your state?My father recently passed away in Las Vegas, NV where he resided. He left a will which left everything to my mother. He owns a 1/3 interest in property in the state of Utah. My mother's name is not listed on the property. Does this have to be probated in Utah before this can be sold? If so, does it need to follow a formal probate as my father does not owe any creditors in Utah as he has not resided there in 40 years.

BlondiePB

meyerclm said:
... He owns a 1/3 interest in property in the state of Utah. My mother's name is not listed on the property. Does this have to be probated in Utah before this can be sold? If so, does it need to follow a formal probate as my father does not owe any creditors in Utah as he has not resided there in 40 years.
Yes and yes.

S

seniorjudge

meyerclm said:
What is the name of your state?My father recently passed away in Las Vegas, NV where he resided. He left a will which left everything to my mother. He owns a 1/3 interest in property in the state of Utah. My mother's name is not listed on the property. Does this have to be probated in Utah before this can be sold? If so, does it need to follow a formal probate as my father does not owe any creditors in Utah as he has not resided there in 40 years.
You will need to get a Utah attorney to help you. Some states (and I do not know about Utah) will accept the probate from another state (the state where the person died), even though the property is in that state (the state where the property is located).

Your Nevada attorney will be able to help you in this regard. It may be simpler than you think, but you will need a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">