• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is probate necessary?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

njr

What is the name of your state? CA
My father-in-law recently passed away without a will. He was not married and my husband is the decedent's only child. The only property of value my father-in-law owned was 2 cars. The CA Department of Motor Vehicles does not require probate for the vehicles to be transferred into my husband's name but I am concerned about my father-in-law's outstanding debt. I know he had unpaid medical bills and I'm wondering if we have to go through the probate process in case the vehicles can be used to satisfy those debts.What is the name of your state?

divgradcurl

What is the name of your state? CA
My father-in-law recently passed away without a will. He was not married and my husband is the decedent's only child. The only property of value my father-in-law owned was 2 cars. The CA Department of Motor Vehicles does not require probate for the vehicles to be transferred into my husband's name but I am concerned about my father-in-law's outstanding debt. I know he had unpaid medical bills and I'm wondering if we have to go through the probate process in case the vehicles can be used to satisfy those debts.What is the name of your state?
You probably should go ahead and file for probate. Most counties in California have simplified probate procedures for small estates and estate without real property -- check with your city or county (on the web, most likely), to see if they offer simplified probate. That way, there is no questions that everything was done correctly, and that will cut off any creditor actions to try and come after your husband for any of the unpaid debts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">