• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

probate process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

osh311

What is the name of your state?

I am a resident of NY. My grandfather has recently passed away. My mother is the representative of his estate and we have an original copy of his will. She is the only child and there is not going to be anyone contesting the will. I am a third year law student and would like to handle the probate process on my own without paying the expense of an attorney.

I need information regarding the probate process. Basically, how do I get this done. What forms must I fill out? Where can I obtain these forms? Where or what court must I file them in? Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Daniel O'Shea

seniorjudge

I am a third year law student and would like to handle the probate process on my own without paying the expense of an attorney.

in propria persona

adj. from Latin "for one's self," acting on one's own behalf, generally used to identify a person who is acting as his/her own attorney in a lawsuit. The popular abbreviation is "in pro per." In the filed legal documents (pleadings), the party's name, address and telephone number are written where the name, address and telephone number of the attorney would normally be stated. The words "in propria persona" or "in pro per" are typed where normally it would say "attorney for plaintiff." Judges sometimes warn a party "in propria persona" of the old adage that "anyone who represents himself in court has a fool for a client and an ass for an attorney."

http://dictionary.law.com/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">